Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Hunting We Will Go



Well, he FINALLY got Morty. Okay, maybe not Morty (the name Brandon has referred to when talking about the garganchious buck he is going to shoot every single year), but at least its a deer. I tease Brandon because in the 11 years we have been together, he has been hunting every year and never shot a thing! I laugh and tell him he doesn't need a tag to go CAMPING!



This year, Brandon wanted so badly to take Brykn hunting. I went with them the first night, but after 4 hours in a crowded truck with Brykn (it was way too cold for him to get out), I decided that was enough for me. The next night they went was when they brought home the buck.



Brykn kept telling me to "Pet he's ears, Mommy, they sost!" I couldn't let him down by declining, so I did touch the stupid thing. I didn't like it, but I did touch it. Brykn kept telling me, "It's okay, Mom, him's dead." That didn't make it any better for me!




After Brandon got the poor thing skinned, he cut the horns off for Brykn. He told him that they would put the horns on a board and hang them in his room--NOT something I really wanted... Brykn was so excited. He ran right upstairs and hollered, "I wanna hang em right here, Dad." He has a spot on the wall (at his height level) all picked out. Oh boy. Literally, 100% boy.



I think the best thing about this hunting trip has been watching Brandon's excitment, not because he shot "Morty," but because he wants so badly to do these father/son things with Brykn. And, I love that. He's truly a wonderful dad.



4 comments:

My Life Changing Journey said...

Oh Boy, that is a nice deer. I am so glad Brandon got one not for his sake, but for Brykn's sake. I don't know who looks more excited Brykn or his Dad, well okay Brandon has a grin from ear to ear. From now on there will be no leaving Brykn home when Brandon goes hunting. I suggest you don't tell him where is Dad is going. Way cute pictures.

Grandma Sally said...

Well will you look at that! I never dreamed in a million years that I could ever be so proud of Two of the most special "Males"in my life. I have to admit I thought Brandon was crazy taking Brykn hunting but will you look at that! He is a great DAD! Brykn's phone call to tell me all about the big shoot I will treasure my entire life!

Leisha said...

My girls were completely grossed out by the deer pictures. Baylee couldn't understand why someone would want to kill a deer.

PS...your blog looks awesome!!!

Janette said...

hey girl, i haven't checked your blog for a while, it looks good. i didn't know brykn had his tonsils and adnoids out. i'm glad he did ok. has it seemed to help? with moving the barn, i think all involved were amazed at how well it went. sorry i had to take dustin back before it was completely finished. brykn is so happy in the hunting pictures, i love it. hope you're doing good.