Friday, July 25, 2008

29

Today was my Birthday and what a day it was...wow. They say getting older is rough and if the future is anything like the 29th birthday was I think I'm in trouble.

I wanted to take Brykn to the Living Planet Aquarium and for a ride on the train since he's been dying to ride it. So, we began the day at 10:00 am when we boarded the commuter rail, FrontRunner. We rode it to SLC and arrived in good spirits (good spirits is important, believe me). We hopped on Trax and headed toward Sandy since the Aquarium is off of 106th South. Funny thing, though, is that Trax doesn't take you to 106th like I thought it did...it drops you off at 98th--a good distance from 106th. We arrived at the Trax station at 98th at 1:00; and, we were still in fairly good spirits. I kept telling Brandon that it might have been a long ride, but that it was the adventure that we would remember. Wow was that an understatement.


The aquarium is on 106th and 7th East which means the train dropped us off about 4 miles from where we needed to be. I figured we could just take a bus that would drop us off near the aquarium so we didn't have to walk. But, there are no bus routes up 106th or remotely near the aquarium. So, that it was the "adventure" and not really knowing it really was 4 miles, we (okay, I) decided we could walk to see the fish. BAD IDEA! There were hardly any sidewalks, we walked in the dirt and had to carry Brykn the entire way. It was 97 degrees in SLC and we arrived at the aquarium at 2:30 pm hot, tired, and in mild spirits.


The aquarium was pretty interesting, but it was sort of hard to enjoy the fish when we knew we had a 4 mile walk, and 2 very long train rides ahead of us. After all, it did take us four hours to get to our destination and, it was going to take us just as long to get home. We had as much fun as we could and set off for home.

We only made it a block when Brykn fell asleep on my shoulder. I had a thirty pound kid on the front and a 30 pound purse on my back since I packed it chuck full of everything knowing we wouldn't have the car. When I just couldn't carry him any longer, Brandon took over carrying him.


We boarded the Trax train with Brykn still sleeping. He was sweating and so were Brandon and I. Not anticipating the walk, I wore sandles and my feet were killing. At this point, we're not in good spirits at all. I did have to laugh when Brandon said, "This is all fine for your birthday, but I'm planning mine."

Finally, we made it to FrontRunner and the last leg of our exhausting, terrible "adventure." Brykn woke up and all he could say was "My need a drink of Pepsi," and "My no want to ride the train."

At 6:30 pm, we made it to our car, dirty, stinky, and exhausted. I was so grateful Brandon took the day off, but I felt terrible that the day was so rotten. I promised right then and there that my adventurous days were over!

1 comment:

My Life Changing Journey said...

Oh what a day!!! That was what I said 29 years ago. When my day start at 1:00am July 25th 1979 when my water broke. The day was long, painful, and tiring, but I look back now and smile at what a wonderful day it was and has been since then. I'm sure you will do the same, after all you spent the day with "the boys" doing something instead of working or staying at home by yourself. Smile and say Happy Birthday to me, it was great fun just to spend the day all three together. In years to come you will look back and say, "oh how I wish I was just turning 29!"